Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome to Sicksville. Population....Me.


Anyone can bring you flowers on the first date. Only true love shows up at your apartment after a long day at work with chicken noodle soup, cold medicine, cough drops, and mentholated chest rub.

My beau had a rough day today. First of all, he's moving into his new apartment and it has been raining on and off all last night and throughout the day. Then, on his way to work, his car key broke off in the ignition. Random, right? He had to call a locksmith and I don't understand everything it entailed, but he said something about his console being dismantled. No fun. On top of everything, my honey worked a long shift late into the night and yet, he still called me on his break to ask me how I was doing. Unbelievable. He asked if I needed anything, and started to make a list, even though I told him it was unnecessary.

This man then shows up at my door with all of the aforementioned medicines, rubs my feet and embraces me, ignoring my germ-ridden contagiousness and the pile of half-used tissues on my bed. Nicest. Boyfriend. EVER!

This is my life, people. I don't understand it. I should be helping Josh move into his new apartment but instead, I am the one being taken care of. I'm not used to being on the receiving end of this kind of treatment. Before he left this evening I asked him, "Are you always going to be like this? Like, taking care of me, bringing me stuff and being nice?" to which he smiled and answered, "Yes. I mean, I have my moments, but yeah. This is me."

It makes me proud to know that there are people in this world who are just genuinely and inherently good. It makes me blessed to know that I'm dating one of them. This is the boy I crushed on all throughout early adolescence. This is the sailor who stole my heart during my freshman year in college. This is the man who loves me more than anything and thinks I'm the prettiest girl he's ever seen.

Joshua Michael, you're the best. Now, stay away from me and my germs. I love you more!

xoxo,
V

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails