Monday, May 9, 2011

Freedom of Speech: ...and that's all I've got to say about that.

Maybe I'll readdress this topic once it's died down a little bit but for now, this is what I need to say;


Let's say there were only two options available, two buttons I could press. The first button would be "Osama Bin Laden lives" and the second, "Osama Bin Laden dies", I would press the second. Hands down, 100%. I just wouldn't throw a party and revel in his demise after pressing it.

Unfortunately, there are some people in this world who by their very existence, inhibit the lives of others. This man was one of them. I do recognize the fact that we are flawed creatures and I don't expect us to all hold hands and sing Kumbaya as we respect and appreciate one another's differences. I do know that I serve a God who looks beyond our differences and flaws and sees us as the beauteous beings of His creation. He loves us all. No exceptions. So, while I won't be mourning the loss of a tyrant of a man responsible for unfathomable death and pain, I will also not presume that dying at the hands of our military is his ultimate punishment. True justice and judgement comes from the Lord. A Navy Seal has nothing on Him.

I am not presuming to speak for God. I hate it when people do that. Radicals and Charismatics with posters in hand telling us all with their sharpies which groups of people "God Loves" or "God Hates". Ridiculous. All I'm saying is that in my lowly opinion, I think situations like this break His heart.  The whole thing is unfortunate. It is sad to me that hate exists in such a real way in this world. I remember September 11, 2001 and it was and continues to be a devastating day in the history of the United States.

I am excessively proud to be an American. I owe a debt of gratitude to the troops who have made my way of life possible. I love the freedom that we enjoy in the states and I wouldn't know what to do if it is ever lost. I pray that I will never have to find out. I'm just not closed-minded enough to believe that we as a country have any more value than the lives of others on the planet.

That's all. Let's see how much flack I get for this one.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails