Sunday, October 11, 2009

...when it's fall-ish

I would just like the world to know that it SNOWED on Saturday morning. In OCTOBER. How ridiculous.

At approximately 4 in the morning, I awakened to the sound of what I thought was raindrops. Wrong. I stared out the window and watched the leaves fall from the trees, pouring down like rain. Wind was howling and branches were swaying- a good old-fashioned thunderstorm. If you know me at all, you know that I love rain, I love thunder, lightening, all of that. I love nothing more than a lazy Saturday rainstorm where I can cuddle up with a book and a cup of tea. This however, no was no rainstorm. It started out as such but as I watched, the freezing raindrops transformed into giant snowflakes before my sleepy eyes.

Of course, from then on, there was no sleep for me. I officially "got up" around 8 and started getting ready for a long day of work, realizing as I was walking out the door that I should have left some time for the winter car chores. The temperature outside was semi-confusing to the senses. Although snow had fallen, much of it had either melted on the way down, or dissolved as it hit the not-yet-frozen earth. I didn't even need a winter coat, the temperature was chilly at worst.

What I did notice, however, were the leaves. Hundereds of them, covering the yard, the driveway, the street. Everything was covered in a blanket of yellow-green. Lucky for me, only a couple inches had accumulated on the top of my beloved Tauri (the 97 Ford Taurus, for those of you new to my blog), and I was able to brush off the powerdery stuff quickly and without much trouble. Tauri roared to life -well, groaned to life, anyways- and we were off.

I don't know what the weather is trying to pull, but last I checked, it was Autumn. Autumn is a great season, college football (Go Huskers), leaves changing, pumpkin pie, spiced apple cider...some of my favorite things! It seems as though big bad winter has decided to come early, and I'm worried that it's here to stay. I am not prepared. There are hats and mittens and scarves to be found, boots to be purchased, sweaters to be brought out of storage! I haven't even begun to think about Christmas shopping...go away Winter, I am not ready for you yet! Let me stay and revel in my beloved Autumn, I'll meet you in December.

“How did it get so late so soon?
It's night before its afternoon.
December is here before it's June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?”

-Dr. Seuss

-V. O'Neel
-------------------------------------------------------
Photo: view of my lovely porch, on my way to work.

Songs:
"Winter Song" Sara Barielles ft. Ingrid Michaelson
"Snow Miser" from Year Without a Santa Claus

4 comments:

Tara said...

It is in the 90's here in Florida still.

Tracie Nall said...

I am a snow lover stuck in hot, humid, autumn-less, snow-less Florida....so other than the Christmas thing (which I am not even allowing myself to think about yet!) I would love a little winter right now....or at least a temperature below 90!

heavealie said...

same situation is in mumbai although it doesn't snow here(why oh why god!!)rainy season came pretty late and super uneven and now when its winter time its still raining don't knw why(global warming).wish it could snow here!!but the way the climate is changing all over the world i think my wish will come true very season!!2012 awaits hehe!!njoi snow fights!!

Vanessa said...

I feel for you guys, I can't imagine a life with no snow! Anytime you feel like visiting the Midwest, let me know! I'll show you a good time, snowball fights and all! Lol =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails