Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's all in the game

So my beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers lost today with a heart-breaking turnover in in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. We had been leading for the entire 2nd half, 12-10, then 15-10. It doesn't sound like we were doing well, but we really were! Defense was looking good, 2 of our players broke University and personal best records, it was a good game and we thought we had 'em. And then out of nowhere, in one play, we hesitated, got confident, and that darn Hokie offense snuck a TD. Game over. We lost by 1. ONE!!!

Okay, cheesy part where I relate a life to a football game: (You KNEW it was coming!)

Lately I find myself battling the same situation; I think I have my life under control and I can relax for a little while and just coast, the universe throws a wrench into the gears of my perfectly functioning life. Whether its a chance bout with the dreaded death-flu, or an equally infuriating flat tire, life sure has a way of messing with me. Some things are preventable, to a certain extent. I can wash my hands obsessively and shun my sneezing co-workers, but eventually I'm going to catch a cold. I can check the pressure on my tires and drive carefully, but I can't stop the parking lot of the Sonic Drive-Thru from having a jagged, tire-eating crack on my way to work. All for the sake of a diet Coke with lemon.

I have decided to accept these inevitable small losses as a part of life, but in no way does that mean I am admitting defeat. Certain weeks may get the best of me, I will fall to my opponent every now and then, but there are still plenty of games left in the season, and I'm ready to play. As long as I am able to shake off the day at the end of it, and keep my goals in mind, I know I will be successful in my endeavors.

Go Team!

-V.O'Neel
----------------------------
Photograph edited using www.picnik.com by the author of this blog (that's me).
=)

Songs:
"It's all in the game" Johnny Mathis
"That's just the way it is" Tupac

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails